How can we get somewhere if we don't know where we are going? Whenever I work with a client and they want to create change, I start with having them go through a visioning exercise to really envision that change. More often than not, the vision is far from clear. Here is my approach to how you can effectively develop a clear vision:
1) Create the space - be in a quiet, calm space where you feel comfortable. Make sure it is quiet or put on some inspiring music. Light a candle, diffuse some oil - whatever gets you into that space where you can really drop in
2) Drop in - if you have a yoga practice, practice for a while, if you don't then try meditating. Sit quietly in a comfortable seated position and close your eyes. Focus on your breath. Should thoughts arise, go back to your breath. Do this until you feel calm and relaxed and focused
3) Pick the life element on which you are creating this vision. This can be a vision for one change or your entire life plan. For example, are you looking to improve your physical health, or are you looking to develop an overall life plan - either way the visioning process is the same! Just get clear on what vision you are creating at this moment
4) Begin the visioning exercise. Use all 5 senses. Where are you? Who are you with? What do you see? What do you hear? What smells are there? What can you touch? How do you feel? What are all the elements visible in your life at this moment? Reach a bit further...what else is present? What else could you call into this vision to enhance the picture? Keep going until you've reached the peak of this picture.
5) Journal it. Now write it down! Embellish with as much enthusiasm as you can!
6) Memorialize it - you can either frame it and keep it handy for regular reference or you can create a graphic depiction of it by creating a vision board - your call....but somehow create a reminder for yourself that you can refer to often to bring you back to why you are going about this change and help you focus on what you want to create..
7) Reiterate - over time, this vision will become crisper and it might evolve and morph. As you get more clarity and become better at listening to your intuition, it will change. Be sure to go back to your memorialized vision often and update it to reflect the changes.
Now the first step is complete - you know where you want to go. Congratulations. My next musing will address the next step in the transformation process.
The one constant in life is change. How we navigate that change is who we are. Creating sustainable change is a more deliberate action and gives us the life we want. This is what my practice and my life mission is all about. All of my life experiences, work history and spiritual journey have lead me to this path - to help others create transformation in their lives and live lives that they love.